I've been wanting to make empanadas for a while and yesterday my brother and I made them together. It was so much fun! The recipe I used if you want to call it that was a mash up of three different recipes I found and the only thing I want to change the next time I make them is the dough recipe since it was a bit crumbly. But the filling was awesome! Pictures first then the recipe.
- a little over a pound of lean turkey (you could use pork/beef or whatnot, but I only eat turkey and fish, and somehow fish didn't seem like a tasty idea)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 heaping cup of black beans (canned, drained and rinsed off)
- 3 medium-ish cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 1/2 slightly heaping cups of cheddar cheese
Cook the turkey in a pan over medium-high heat until browned (beef, pork...), stirring frequently to break up the meat. Add the green onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder into the pan. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and beans. Let filling cool and snack on the extra cheese you spilt all over the counter while measuring it out.
So I had this all typed up and everything at the end of May and thought I had it scheduled. But I didn't, or rather I did, but for next year...