Monday, August 3, 2015

Busy Part 2

So the rest of the projects consisted of one knitted dragon and three more spinning projects.


This was my first attempt to ever knit any sort of stuffed creature. I'll be honest, there are probably easier projects to start with, but where would be the fun in that? This poor guy still doesn't have a name, but he is knitted in a yarn that had silver sparkles in it. 


And he has wings! And spikes along his back that stand up! The pattern was super easy to understand even for me and I think I want to knit him a friend now.


From left to right in the photo above: Prim from Two if By Hand on a merino/cashmere/nylon (MCN) blend, Outburst on a BFL/silk blend and Rustling Scales on Rambouillet. Both the MCN and the Rambouillet were firsts for me as I had never spun them before. 

After spinning and washing the yarns, they both fluffed up, but the MCN was crazy in what I like to call the fluff factor. I spun the singles for this between 54 and 80 wraps per inch which according to most spinning math would lead to a chain plied yarn between 30-40+ wraps per inch. The fluff factor on the MCN gave me plied yarn having the wpi around 20. No joke, it fluffed up a ton. And then it fluffed up even more after washing to 18ish wpi. Which is what I wanted, but it made me extremely glad that I had done a small sample spin before jumping into the project. Even with all the crazy fluff going on I still ended up with 568 yards. 

Prim

Outburst

Between the five spins I ended up with 2,525 yards of yarn after having spun 5,187 yards of singles. It was a total of 21.5 ounces as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment