Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I'M BACK!!!

Thanks to my brother for the photo at our first cheer station on Sunday!
I survived the 3 Day and enjoyed sleeping in (in a real bed!) and doing my walk laundry yesterday and taking a hot shower Sunday night night. Though the hot shower thing wasn't something I went without this past weekend. We had hot showers all weekend! And I can now say that I have showered in an 18 wheeler trailer, or at least that is what it looked like. And did you know that there are such a thing as flushable Porta Potties? And they were clean the whole weekend! I still have to get my photos developed and on a disk, but as soon as that is done I'm going to post them.

Now onto the real reason behind the weekend's event. There were 2,800+ walker and 450+ crew members (I'm pretty sure that number included medical). The Dallas/Fort Worth 3 Day for the Cure walkers/crew/medics/etc raised $7.1 million for the cause!!!! And I meet the most amazing women (and men) over the course of the 3 days, both walkers, crew members, and the amazing medical team members. They were all great and amazing. But the most most amazing were the survivors and hearing their stories. Some where just finishing rounds of treatment, some where in remission, some were battling it for the second or third time, some for the first, but none of them let it get in the way of walking. In fact one of these amazing, awe-inspiring, stupendous survivors had team members pushing her wheel chair the entire way. Every time I saw her and her team I teared up.

And let me mention the national series sponsors: Bank of America and New Balance. They were awesome. And we had sandwiches provided for lunch every day provided by Panera with chips, cookies, and fruit. Off of the top of my head I can't remember the other sponsors we had, but I will get around to mentioning them at some point when I remember them.

And I'm already thinking about next year's walk. I can't wait to do it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment