Sunday, January 16, 2011

French Macarons

Kitchen experiment time! I am so taking advantage of the fact that I have a kitchen this weekend while I'm home and I decided to attempt to make macarons. And go figure, I left my macaron book back at my place which is only four hours away. Meh. That is what the internet is for. So here is the mixed recipe macaroons with chocolate ganache filling:

Yummy
The macaroons are a bit on the large size and by a bit I mean about 2 inches across. I had issues trying to use my pastry bag after not touching it for way too long and the mixture seemed really loose to me, but hey, what do I know? I've never made macarons before so...yeah. Or it could have been that I used a piping tip that was a bit to large. But the tops didn't crack, they got little feet, but I didn't sift the dry ingredients well enough so there are some little lumps of almond meal. Eh, here they are right out of the oven.

Not the most uniformed and way too big....
Oh well, I'm going to try again with different filling and maybe be adventurous and make colored shells.

I also feel very acomplished today because not only did I make macaroons, but with the leftover 1/2 cup of cream I used in the filling, I made butter. Yes, butter! And I made it just by shaking a jar. Today was a  fun day in the kitchen.
Fresh butter!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment